This was supposed to be a Christmas gift post, but as I stated in my Christmas Things entry, Christmas got a wee bit stressful this year, and I decided to let blog things slide a little bit. So now, you’ll just have to get a head start on next Christmas! This would also be a great gift for winter birthdays, showers etc.
I adapted this from a recipe found on Pinterest. It’s super easy and smells delicious. The only caveat is that the vanilla essential oil is CRAZY EXPENSIVE. Yeah, like $25 for a half ounce bottle. Ouch. The good news is, you’re only using a few drops, so it should last you a good long time.
I made this scrub as gifts for two of my coworkers. I doubled the recipe and got enough to fill two lovely decorative jars I got a Ben Franklin for $2 apiece.
Vanilla Mint Sugar Scrub (adapted from Bath.Body.DIY)
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 8 tablespoons organic, unrefined coconut oil
- 15 drops vanilla essential oil
- 3 drops peppermint essential oil
1. Melt coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl in 10 second increments until it is liquid
2. Combine sugar and coconut oil, mixing until evenly distributed
3. Add oils one drop at a time, mixing well after each addition
4. Pour scrub into sterilized, air-tight containers
According to the source tutorial, it should keep for up to 6 months. The combination of vanilla and mint is absolutely heavenly, and the peppermint oil is naturally antibacterial, so it should help the scrub last even longer.
To use, scoop a small amount into your hands and use your body heat to melt, then apply to wet skin and gently massage in a circular motion. Rinse completely.