Mother’s Day is one of the those holidays that it’s so easy to forget or overlook. It’s sort of made up, and is very gimmicky. I mean, I treat my mom like royalty all year round–I don’t need an excuse!
But if you’re like most of the world, you might have forgotten that Mother’s Day is on Sunday. And like most of the world, you are probably looking for a quick, easy, beautiful gift for mom. What could be better than something you made with your own two hands? If your mom is like mine (sappy as all hell), she’s sure to love and appreciate a handmade gift above almost anything else.
Therefore, I’d like to present you with this tutorial for making a beautiful wrap bracelet. Make one in Mom’s favorite colors, or make a bunch to go with all her favorite outfits. Of course, I found them on Pinterest, but you can find the original tutorial here.
DIY Wrap Bracelets (Via Honestly WTF)
Ball chain or crystal chain (available for purchase here. I also found limited selections at A.C. Moore)
Waxed linen cord (I used embroidery floss run through my sewing wax) or hemp
Button or other item to use for the closure
1. First you need to decide if you are making a single or a double length bracelet. If single, cut a piece of leather cord that is a few inches more than twice the circumference of your wrist. For a double, cut double that length. Cut a length of ball chain or crystal chain to either single or double the circumference of your wrist
2. Fold your cord in half and knot the folded end in a loop just big enough to pass your button through. This will be the closure of the bracelet
3. Cut a healthy length of waxed linen or embroidery floss. I used twice the length of my leather. Basically just make sure you have enough, because if you don’t, you will be very sad and have to start over.
4. Lay about 1/2 inch of the linen along the leather with the free end facing away from your knot, then begin wrapping the linen around the leather cording and itself, to secure the free end.
5. Line up the free end of your ball or crystal chain on top of your leather cord and wrap the linen around the gap between the two balls and all the way around the leather twice. Repeat this process all the way down your chain, until your bracelet is the desired length.
6. Wrap the linen around the leather cord a few more times as at the beginning to secure
7. Run the leather cord and the linen through your button or closure and knot to secure.
Aren’t these just beautiful? I want to make a whole bunch of them in different colors and wear them all at the same time! And they really couldn’t be easier–they come together in just a few minutes.