Rachel Robin's Nest

Crafts, Projects and Recipes to Help Feather Your "Nest"

DIY Gift Idea: Spice Rubs August 13, 2012

Filed under: DIY,Recipes — DarlinRae @ 1:13 pm
Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Well guys, my Mini Caprese Salad Bites post was a record breaker–most likes, most follows, and most views of any day so far.  Wow!  Thanks!  I’ll try to keep the good content coming.  Ben will be away on a business trip for the next three days, so I’ve got LOTS of projects planned to keep me busy!

My dad is incredibly difficult to buy gifts for.  99.9% of the time if you say, “Hey Dad, your birthday/Christmas/Father’s Day is coming up.  What can I get you?” he’ll say, “Nothing.”  He doesn’t want anything, doesn’t need anything, doesn’t want us to spend money on him.  The other 0.1% of the time he’ll want something really obscure and expensive, like a device that transfers vinyl records to digital that you can only get from some really sketchy online vendor for $150.

Dad has lots of hobbies, but I don’t know anything about fishing, or golf, and he owns and/or has already read so many books that finding something new is always a challenge.  But one thing my dad and I have in common is that we both love to cook.  Growing up in my household, Dad did all the home-cooking, not Mom.  And he instilled in me a love of crafting truly delicious, comforting and interesting food.  So I knew just what to do for his birthday this year.

Many, many moons ago, I came across this post on making spice rubs as a “Man Gift.”  I pinned it, thinking it was a great idea to just make some rubs for myself.  But when Dad’s birthday rolled around this year, I remembered the spice rubs, and got to work.  I made three different ones, but there are a million and one recipes out there, so hit up Google and make as many or as few as you like for the chef in your life!

DIY Spice Rub Gifts

Please forgive my horrible photography skills

Salt-Free Herb Rub

  • 2 tbsp rosemary
  • 2 tbsp thyme
  • 1 tbsp tarragon
  • 1 tbsp black pepper

Cajun Rub

  • 2 tbsp paprika
  • 1 tbsp black pepper
  • 1 tbsp cumin
  • 1 tbsp brown sugar
  • 1 tbsp salt
  • 1 tsp coriander
  • 1 tsp thyme
  • 1 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 tsp garlic
  • 1/2 tsp allspice

“Heart of Darkness” Blackening Rub

  • 1 tbsp cumin
  • 1 tbsp paprika
  • 1 tbsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 tbsp oregano
  • 1 tbsp black pepper
  • 1 tbsp salt

I got my little spice jars for a dollar apiece at the dollar store, but if you want to, you can use recycled jars, small mason jars, or even small tins.  Just keep in mind that you may have to double or halve the recipes in order to appropriately fill your chosen container.  For mine, I tripled the Blackening (so there was a little left over for me!) and the Salt-Free rubs (just enough to fill) , but one was enough of the Cajun rub, since it had a lot more ingredients.

I love to put the Blackening rub on fish, or sprinkle it on burgers.  The Salt-Free is great for poultry, and the Cajun rub would be amazing on some pork chops.  Yum!

 

About these ads
 

One Response to “DIY Gift Idea: Spice Rubs”


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 266 other followers